What is Conversion Rate Optimization?
Most people believe they need more traffic to their site in order to get more business, however this is not technically the case. If a business increases their conversion rate, they can increase profits without having to buy extra advertising to increase traffic. What is conversion rate optimization, or CRO? To put it simply, CRO is a system put in place to increasing the rate at which visitors who visit your site are converted into customers (or taking any desired action you may be seeking). Basically, by optimizing your website, you increase your chances of increasing conversions for whatever action you are looking for visitors to take; may it be purchasing your product, reading a blog, or downloading a file.
The nice thing about conversion optimization is that it doesn’t require huge changes to your site, like redesigning the whole thing or rewriting all the copy. Instead, it’s all about small changes made over a period of time that can lead to a major increase in your overall conversions. These changes may be something as simple as replacing an image, increasing font size, or even just changing up the wording to your call to action. Because of these change styles however, conversion optimization is more of a continuous, ongoing operation. It requires a lot of trial and error to see what changes work, and what does not. Don’t fret though if your changes cause a negative impact on your CRO because they can be easily reverted and you can move on to try something new.
When it comes to being successful in your CRO process, there are three things you should focus on:
- Focus on improving your overall product
- Focus on improving your marketing
- Focus on giving your customers the best possible experience
Simply put, in order to be successful and remain that way, you need to focus on the customer and continuous improvement.
In order to be successful, you need to understand your customer. Why are they coming to your site? They must be at least somewhat curious in your brand or else they’d be looking at one of your competitors. Your job is to convert their interest in your site to them buying from you, or taking whatever action you are looking for. This is where you will use a persuasion process. This process has three questions you need to be able to answer:
- Who? Who are you trying to persuade? Do you understand your target audience? The more you know about your T.A., the easier it is to sell to them. You should be able to understand what they like, what they’re interested in, what their dislikes are, and so forth, so you can improve your overall product, marketing, website, and more!
- What do you want? What action do you want your website visitors to take? This needs to be very clear. It can be something as simple as clicking on a link, or subscribing to a newsletter. You should be able to create a clear path for them to follow in order to take these actions. If you want to increase your conversion rate, you need to guide the customers to the final destination because if it is too difficult to figure out they may give up and move on to your competitor.
- What do they want? Now that you know what you want visitors to do when they get to your site, you need to understand what actions they want to take. In the end, the customer is the one who has overall control of their experience on your site, however you can occasionally steer them towards the actions you’d like them to take. If they have visited your site, they likely have a purpose for doing so, meaning they have an end goal in mind. It’s your job to figure out what this goal is. Once you have determined all the possible actions visitors may want to take, as well as their goals, you need to figure out a way to help them towards achieving that goal or action. It may not line up to be the action you wanted them to take, but it will help you have satisfied customers, which should in fact be one of your goals as a business.
In conclusion, conversion optimization is one of the most effective ways to gradually increase your profits from your website. It allows you to avoid spending more money on advertising in order to get more traffic by continuously improving your website so that the customer experience is improved at the same time. Think of it as creating a new lifestyle for your site, rather than one single change or push. If you are looking for help with improving your conversion rate, talk to the experts at tekRESCUE about the changes that can be made to your website!